Hemorrhoid band ligation is a great option when deciding how to eliminate your internal hemorrhoids. Ari Nowain, MD is an expert gastroenterologist with years of treating patients’ hemorrhoids with the CRH O’Regan hemorrhoid banding procedure. Hemorrhoid band ligation, otherwise known as rubber band ligation, is a very fast, relatively painless procedure with minimal downtime. Adherence to correct post-operation procedures ensures a relatively short hemorrhoid banding recovery process.
Hemorrhoid Banding Post-Op Activity
Immediately after the procedure, Dr. Nowain advises all his patients to avoid heavy lifting or exercising the entire day. One of the reasons why Dr. Nowain utilizes the CRH O’Regan method of band ligation to remove internal hemorrhoids is because patients can resume most types of normal activity the same day.
There are a number of post-op instructions that patients need to follow. After the procedure, there are a number of things a patient can do to ensure a full and healthy hemorrhoid surgery recovery.
- It’s important to take fiber supplements to help digestion and prevent constipation.
- Dr. Nowain suggests that patients tighten their buttocks 10-15 times a day in order to strengthen the muscles in that area.
- After bowel movements, clean the anus with a sitz bath. A sitz bath is simply sitting within water for a few minutes to alleviate discomfort and/or hemorrhoid banding pain.
- Moderate exercise is ok but patients must remember not to do too much and avoid heavy lifting.
There are also a number of things that should be avoided after the procedure to ensure a healthy recovery.
- Be sure to get up and walk around every two to three hours. Being seated for extended periods of time does not help.
- Gently clean the anus. Vigorous scrubbing and/or rubbing should not be done at any time.
- Do not push too hard during a bowel movement. If you cannot go with ease, stop and try again at another point.
- Do not drink alcohol because it can dehydrate you and increase the chances of constipation.
Hemorrhoid Banding Recovery Problems
Post-operative problems for rubber band ligation are rare. If, at any time, a patient experiences severe hemorrhoid banding pain, bleeding, chills, fever, or any other problems, please call Dr. Nowain immediately.
Bleeding After Hemorrhoid Band Ligation
Bleeding after hemorrhoid banding is a common occurrence after the procedure. That said, if you see more blood than that and/or are feeling faint, lie down flat and lift your middle higher than your head while applying ice to the area. If within a half-hour the bleeding does not decrease, go to the emergency room or call Dr. Nowain.
Make Your Appointment With Dr. Nowain
It’s important to talk with Dr. Nowain to find out about all of your non-surgical options and ask any questions you may have about post-op hemorrhoid banding recovery. Dr. Ari Nowain is one of the best Los Angeles GI doctors that treats hemorrhoids and other related conditions. If you are suffering from hemorrhoids and are looking to permanently remove them in Los Angeles, contact Dr. Nowain at (310) 657-4444.
Next, read out Hemorrhoid Banding FAQ.